19 – 21 May 2022
KRAMERVILLE DESIGN DISTRICT

Spilhaus

Spilhaus has been in the luxury cutlery, crystal stemware & giftware market for over 70 years & supported by generations of South Africans.
 
The firm started business under the name of Wilman, Spilhaus & Co on the 1st December 1876 at the top end of St George’s St, Cape Town. The founders of the firm were Mr. Herbert Wilman & Mr. Arnold Wilhelm Spilhaus.
 
When Mr. Wilman retired in 1895, Mr. Spilhaus took over .The firm was changed to Wm Spilhaus & Co. In 1915 the Company was changed into a limited liability company.
The business of the Company was that of Merchants and Commission Agents which involved the importation of goods and the export of South African products, particularly Wool, Skins and Ostrich Feathers, as well as acting as shipping agents and representatives for Insurance Companies.
Walker & Hall Ltd of Sheffield was the first firm in Britain to use the system of silver plating by electrolysis. This famous firm had a branch in Cape Town which was not doing well. Agreement was reached with Spilhaus to take over the firm together with staff & stock, & a showroom was opened in 1934 in Strand St. This small shop was the beginning of the Spilhaus retail brand of business as it is known today.
 
Spilhaus traded successfully from one shop in the Cape Town CBD until 1977 when another branch was opened at the new Cavendish Square in Claremont.
In 1978 Spilhaus took a gigantic step when it opened its first branch in Johannesburg, located at the Hyde Park shopping Centre Further shops were opened in Johannesburg in the 1980’s although growth was severely curtailed by the very difficult trading conditions which prevailed at that time.
 
Today Spilhaus have 14 retail shops which are located in the finest Shopping Centres in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Pretoria. Spilhaus is renowned for stocking internationally exclusive brands many of which cannot be obtained elsewhere in South Africa.
In 2008 Spilhaus was sold as a family business and became part of the well known Look & Listen Group which consists of over 50 shops nationwide.
 
In May 2010 Spilhaus converted its Lower Sandton store into a Swarovski Partner Boutique. The Boutique is owned by Spilhaus and Spilhaus is responsible for the range of Swarovski products and the staff who run the Boutique.
 
Notwithstanding this the Boutique looks and feels the same as any other Swarovski Boutique in its worldwide network of international shops. The experience is thus identical for a customer whether they visit a Boutique in Johannesburg, Paris or London.
 
Spilhaus are excited to be associated with such a world famous brand and intend to open more Swarovski Partner Boutiques in top shopping centrs in the RSA. 

Address

Desmond St
Kramerville
Sandton

Email Address

howard@spilhaus.co.za

Website

www.spilhaus.co.za